Sunday, December 26, 2010

From my kitchen .. Fruit mince pie pt 11

Well, this is the continuation from my kitchen escapades and making fruit pies from scratch.

I did not take too many pics of making the dough as I don't have a food processor at home hence it was a lot of hard work to kneed it to the correct consistency.

In short though, it was quite fun (and I made a lot of mess!)..




Things required for pastry - 4 cups plain flour, white sugar to sprinkle, 2 egg yolks, 1/2 cup icing sugar mix, 300 g chilled butter (chopped)




Place flour, icing sugar and butter and and process until it starts looking like bread crumbs. You then add in the egg yolks, a few drops of water until the dough starts coming together.

Roll dough on non stick baking paper and flour. Cut pastry into round disc and place on pan, prick base with fork.

(My first attempt of pastry -made it wayyy too thick so all it tasted was pastry - attempt FAIL)



I didn't have a pastry cutter so used a 1 cup measuring cup instead ;)


Top with mince filling from Pt 1, I didn't top the pies with pastry disc, instead opting for lines (less work). Sprinkle with white sugar and place in a preheated 180' oven for 30-35 mins.

Ok - this is the finished product. I must say, I quite liked it even though I did leave it in the oven for a bit longer. I will take it out after 20 mins in my fan oven. Overall, am quite pleased with my 1st attempt. I do know that I will be adding more rum the next time.. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Certainly look good. I like the lattice rather a solid top.