Sunday, June 21, 2009

Whirlwind courtship

In one of our more relaxed weekends chilling in front of the telly and with a nice cuppa mocha + Baileys in front of us, I mentioned to BF that ours is a whirlwind courtship.

All in all, BF and I have started dating, moved in together and are getting married all in a span of less that 3 yrs. Breakdown being

Met BF - Jan 2007
Inform our respective parents of each others existence - May 2007
BF ask me to move in - July 2007
I unofficially move in i.e I spend most of my time at his but keep my things at my own place - Aug 2007
I move in with BF - Nov 2007
BF meets my parents (officially and face to face; not by phone or Skyped) - Dec 2007
BF ask my parents for my permission to ask for my hand - Jan 2008
ENGAGED - Jan 2008
I meet BF's first relatives - Feb 2008
I meet BF's parents (officially) - Nov 2008
SET THE DATE - Nov 2008

It is now less than 3 1/2 months before we do actually get married and the fact is, BF and I are already like married. I wouldnt really condone the whole living with someone before getting married thing, well - not in Asia where it would be very frowned upon anyways but BF and I had discussions way before and it was with a very strong understanding that our rship was to head somewhere that I moved into his in the first place. Moving in with someone was a very big step for me ~ as much as I claim to be Westernised, I still am quite the Asian at heart - and I hold these same Asian values dearly the more I get and live here.

The thing is, here I planning to say my vows of commitment and forever-after.
The thing is, I've been a nearly-wed - being with a someone long for so long that ppl think that you are bound for the alter - and enough that you yourself think you will be with the person - but at the last minute, it never materialises and you are left in the lurch and trying to pick up the pieces of a broken relationship.

In less that 3 1/2 months, I will be with someone who does want to be with me.
And for that, I am thankful.

p/s: Yes, this is a sappy blogpost - but I am entitled to these moods occasionally.

No comments: