Sunday, March 23, 2008

The hunt for the"perfect" ring


So BF and I started on the whole wedding prep by looking for the appropriate wedding bands this weekend. Fortunately, BF is not so fussy with the rest of the arrangements (he is leaving it up to me and my wedding planner aka mum), but he has in his mind very definite ideas on what the wedding bands should look like. We have also decided that we would not mind spending a little bit more on the rings which is fine by me as we are going to be using it for the rest of our life (touch wood - esp as we both are very anti-divorce).

Well, taking advantage of the long weekend holidays, we went around the Mel Little Collins area in the CBD and started on our research.

The aim - Wedding bands

Budget - Up to $5000 for 2 (around RM 14000)

Outlets visited - George Jensen, Tiffany & Co, Canturi

BF has taken a fancy on the Canturi "Comfort Band". The prob now is, my engagement ring is a solitaire and being a single stone, the wedding band has to be equally complimenting. I personally do not fancy a plain wedding band esp if one is paying quite a bit for it. I did try and liked their white gold "Upswift Band".

Next stop - Tiffany & Co. We immediately fell in love with their "Sheamerice" white gold band for him and it does come with a female version. However, the feminine version was overshadowed by my current band and we started looking around. The "Channel" 2mm complimented mine precisely (oh the sparkle!) but decided to head up to Georg Jensen ... but not before I eyed this gorgeous diamond 0.1 pendant which is on my "wish list" for the mo. ;)

At Georg Jensen .. we both liked the "Fusion" collection. BF doesn't want any diamonds on his, I am still contemplating my options but the 3 tone effect looks good on him whilst the 2 tone effect (yellow and white gold) suit me better as I have (and I say this without sounding like a vain pot but all of the sales ppl say it), long delicate fingers.

Heading to Chaddy tmr to look at more rings. Rather we do the research early than be stuck later on. Furthermore, it gives us more time to budget!

p/s: Yeah, BF and I are engaged. We got engaged over new yrs. He asked my dad for permission first. Its a good thing that he did too.. as apparently my dad was going to have a 1-on-1 if he didn't.. so he got brownie points for that.

Proposal venue - At my parents - His original plan was to do the whole she-bang thing back here but as he wanted to show them the ring, the wasn't any hoopla on it. :)

The ring - Platinum set, "Love Diamond" single solitaire from the C-Club (formerly Carat Club), Pavilion - KL

5 comments:

Dallas Diaries said...

hey!! thanks for the blog stop..

Heres a coupla other places you can check out that might not break your budget too much. Esp if youre looking at tiffany's!

http://www.gordonsjewelers.com/

http://www.robbinsbrothers.com/

and some actually dare to venture the successful online site of:

www.bluenile.com

Let me know if that helps!!

Kiersten said...

Congrats congrats! :)

I personally love Tiffany!!! If I ever get married, I'd settle for the Lucida band. I figured it'd go beatifully with either the classic Tiffany's 6 prong engagement ring, or the new Tiffany's Novo.

Forgive me while I dream away...

Mina said...

I'd go for the Tiffany ring but then again the fusion rings are l o v e l y :-)
Happy hunting, isn't it fun!? :-)
*mwah*

Mirebella said...

DD - still looking for that ring.. and this is just the ring!

MsPinky - Thankyou! Yeah, the Tiffany is nice..but sometimes we pay more for the name no? My engagament ring is on a 6 prong setting ;)

SG - Hmm...not so fun. Thank GOD my mum is doing most of the work.. ! Hhahaha. Im hopeless arent I?

Unknown said...

After analysing thousands of diamonds, DCLA has developed a new Transparency grading system, independent of other quality grades listed on the traditional diamond certificate.

Transparency is the degree to which a material transmits light, directly relevant to the cloudiness or haziness of the material.

Diamonds of any clarity, fluorescence and cut can in fact have Very Good or Excellent Transparency, making them attractive stones. Diamonds of any clarity, fluorescence and cut can also have Good or Medium Transparency - light return can be interrupted by multiple features of a given diamond.

The DCLA Transparency Grading System will now take all of these features into account to provide an even more comprehensive assessment of a diamond.

DCLA Transparency Scale:Excellent - Completely transparent, no light interruption, no haze or cloud
Very Good - Transparent, minimal light interruption, very light haze or cloud, difficult to detect
Good - Transparent, slight visible haze or cloud, detectable
Medium - Semi-Transparent, marked light interruption, moderate haze or cloud, easy to detect
Poor - Semi-Transparent, very little light passes through, heavy haze or cloud

Effective September 15 2008, all DCLA Diamond Certificates will include the diamond transparency.

In addition, the DCLA has also split the traditional Finish grade on our Diamond Certificate into the dual features of Polish and Symmetry. This will provide a fuller, more detailed expression of the overall diamond make to both consumers and the trade.